Naked Browser web browser
8 July 2017
2.1 and up
TRUST: Right permissions with no spying.
SPEED: No bloat with focus on efficiency.
FEATURES: Crash restore, undo closed tabs, infinite tabs & more.
FREE: As in no cost. Not for profit & not ad-supported but the sites you visit may be.
1) Uses a minimal user interface to conserve resources. If you do not like the screenshots or do not want to learn a new interface then do not install it. Interface uses ENGLISH ONLY.
2) If you do not like the app name or icon then do not install it.
3) TIPS section below has important info.
I wanted a trustworthy browser with features I need yet using as few resources as possible. I hope you enjoy it.
• Cannot see the browser menus? See below.
• Close current tab by tapping its tab bar button.
• The "desktop" button allows you to request and view full, rather than mobile, versions of web sites.
• Swipe right --> to show bookmarks/history. Long press bookmarks/history to edit.
• One finger zoom: Double-tap and hold, then swipe to zoom.
• Undo close tab: Long press new tab "+" button.
• Choose a search engine for URL bar search: Long press "go" arrow.
• Adobe Flash support for most pre-Android 4.4 devices: Download Flash player from the Adobe web site & install http://tinyurl.com/4aflash
• Bottom menu "exit" button is the only way to gracefully quit, and do things like clear history on exit.
• Read through browser options and bookmarked help page for more tips.
CANNOT SEE THE BROWSER MENUS?
If your device has no menu button, you may be able to long press the device app switch button or back button. SHOW MENU GESTURES: Swipe up from bottom corner, OR swipe down from top edge of browser window. Paid Pro of version of Naked Browser provides many more options.
OTHER BROWSERS TRACK USERS!
This thread discusses violations in several popular web browsers: http://tinyurl.com/pbrowse
Not concerned with privacy? Spying wastes resources (battery, bandwidth, CPU) and slows your device.
Naked Browser does not use data to spy, monitor, or even show ads. All data transfer is solely as a result of your requests & retrievals. Because Naked Browser is designed for efficiency, you may use more data simply because you can browse sites faster.
Naked Browser uses the Android WebView that's on your device to display web pages. All data requests & retrievals, all cookies, all passwords, etc. are handled by the WebView and Naked Browser does not interfere with the default behavior. However, versions of Android before 5.0 do not get System WebView updates via the Play Store, and there are known problems with older WebView: http://google.com/search?q=android+same+origin+policy%2C+freak+attack%2C+logjam%2C+address+spoofing
Android 7+ uses Chrome as WebView, if installed.
• Internet: ONLY for your web page requests & retrievals. Absolutely no monitoring or snooping, & ad-less too.
• File read/write: ONLY so you can save & upload files. Absolutely no other reason.
• View network state: ONLY to handle changes in network connectivity.
• Keep device from sleeping: ONLY to prevent downloads from being cut off.
Geo-location, which is in the paid Pro version.
Designed and made by an independent software developer named Tony in Redwood City, California, United States of America.
Thanks to Mike & Charlotte for all the alpha testing.
Google Play Rating
- New users, please read app description.
• re-implemented workaround for WebView scrolling after viewing full screen video in newer Android versions
• minor tweaks
• workaround for freeze when opening links from facebook Messenger "chatheads" and apps like it
ANDROID L & M: After updating System WebView, reboot your device to avoid strange glitches.
ANDROID N & NEWER: Reboot your device after updating Chrome browser.